MediaAcT hosts media manager workshop
The MediaAcT partners Medienhaus Wien and the Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication of the University of Bucharest hosted a one day media manager workshop on "Innovative Media Accountability Practices". The workshop took place at the Press Club Concordia in Vienna. The morning session was opened to media journalists, members of the press council, NGOs and other international organizations, while the following panels were exclusively reserved for media managers from all parts of Europe.
After a brief welcome address by the managing director of Medienhaus Wien, Andy Kaltenbrunner, Matthias Karmasin explained the main cornerstones of the MediaAcT project and Raluca Radu presented first outcomes of the project’s European survey. Afterwards, Klaus Bichler gave some insights into the "Best Practice Guidebook for Media Managers - Media Accountability and Transparency across Europe", edited by Klaus Bichler, Halliki Harro-Loit, Matthias Karmasin, Daniela Kraus, Epp Lauk & Urmas Loit. In the second part of the morning session three media practitioners (Timo Keraenen from Finland, Wim van Klaveren from Holland and Bjarne Schilling from Denmark) presented their extraordinary examples of media accountability. This part was followed by a public discussion.
The afternoon session was exclusive for several invited media mangers to discuss media accountability practices and to develop and update guidelines for media managers. Under the moderation of Matthias Karmasin media managers from companies being active in nearly all European countries discussed what one can learn from the given best practice examples, current issues like journalism and social media and the different working conditions in the different countries.
• Timo Keraenen, YLE TV2 (FIN)
• Wim van Klaveren, VARA (NL)
• Bjarne Schilling, Politiken (DEN)
• Sara Cipriani, ANSO (ITA)
• Tibor Kovacs, President of the Hungarian Publishers Association (HUN)
• Robert Berza, CME (RUM)
• Dieter Bornemann, ORF (AUT)
• Claus Reitan, Die Furche, Styria Media (AUT)
• Herbert Gartner, KURIER (AUT)
• Matthias Karmasin, Medienhaus Wien (AUT)
• Klaus Bichler, Medienhaus Wien (AUT)
• Andy Kaltenbrunner, Medienhaus Wien (AUT)
• Daniel Kraus, fjum (AUT)
• Monica Marti, Medienhaus Wien (AUT)
• Raluca Radu, University of Bucharest (RUM)
Photo: Medienhaus Wien
MediaAct News – September 14, 2012